Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Street Skills for Cyclists and Middle School Parents
Wednesday, May 30, 2012 from 5:30 PM to 9:00 PM (PDT)
Palo Alto, CA
Learn how to ride safely and confidently wherever you want to go. In this 3.5 hour workshop, you will learn how to ride on suburban and urban streets and cross through any intersection safely. You will learn your legal rights and responsibilities as a cyclist. You will also learn how to:
- operate a bike visibly and predictably
- equip your bike and adjust your helmet
- get a green light
- bring your bike on transit
For parents and future instructors, we'll cover what you need to know for riding with children ages 10-15 and encouraging them become safe and confident bicycle drivers, whether they are biking to school, to practice or to a friend's house.
Instructor: John Ciccarelli, a nationally certified instructor with extensive experience in Palo Alto and on the Peninsula.
- This class is for ages 16 and above, and no bicycle is required. Content is the same as the classroom portion of Traffic Skills 101 but is aimed at the parents of middle school children or those who are involved in youth bicycle education as volunteers or staff members.
- Those who complete this class may then enroll in the on-bike portion of Traffic Skills 101 at a future date.
- Map to right does not show room location accurately. See the first page of this link for a Cubberley site map showing where to find the A wing (second page has driving directions if needed): http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civica/filebank/blobdload.asp?BlobID=8865
Alternate date and time for this class: Saturday, June 2, 9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
For anyone needing practice with basic skills like starting, braking, checking for traffic over your left shoulder, and turning smoothly, check out the bike handling skills clinic: http://bikehandlingskillsjune2.eventbrite.com/